[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Holds Prioritization Development

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Apr 6 13:52:40 EDT 2012

Hi Beth,

We don't have a project like this in the works, but I wanted to mention
something we did for a consortium that was in a similar situation. This
consortium built a regional level into its hierarchy that was directly below
the consortium to accommodate different courier routes. However, as you
mentioned, this structure makes it difficult for patrons and staff to locate
individual libraries within the consortia.

Overall, we found that using the OU hierarchy in the catalog library
selector didn't work for us in a variety of circumstances. In addition to
the above, in our area, the system usually only contains one branch. In
those cases, the option to select both a system and branch in the library
selector is a little redundant.

We addressed these issues by sponsoring a project that gave us more
flexibility in ordering the OU's available in the catalog's library
selector. In the case of the consortium with the regional level in the
hierarchy, we intend to hide that regional level from the library selector
and to integrate all of the consortium's libraries into one alphabetical
list in the tpac catalog. This will allow us to utilize the hierarchy for
the purposes of holds prioritization while making that extra level in the
hierarchy invisible to your average user.

This development is now available in 2.2 beta -
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/954310. I don't know if it will
give you the flexibility you need for your holds prioritization, but I
wanted to offer it up as another potential solution.

Kathy  Lussier

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
(508) 756-0172