[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Holds Prioritization Development

James Fournie jfournie at sitka.bclibraries.ca
Fri Apr 6 22:30:48 EDT 2012

One challenge is that hold/soft boundaries only offer one "level" of hold fulfillment expansion -- the only levels are "within the soft boundary" and "outside the soft boundary but within the hard boundary".  You can't have a medium boundary.   I think multiple configurable tiers would be great instead of just two boundaries, particularly if you could define tiers as lassos.  This would allow you to have boundaries like this:

1.  Local 3-branch radius that someone happens to drive every day anyway
2.  Local library system with it's courier system
3.  Local library system including a nearby branch from another system
4.  Local library system including another entire system
5.  Local library system including 3 nearby systems

In some areas this may help save courier costs, as you could use different courier systems for different ranges, or even offset the cost to the patron where palatable.

I would add though that a related concept is the "proximity", however this feature isn't really usable right now -- tinkering with it may break if you run autogen.  And while it does solve a problem of prioritization, it doesn't really allow you to define specific tiers of delivery which should only be crossed under certain circumstances.

James Fournie
BC Libraries Cooperative / Sitka