[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Developer meeting summary

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Apr 27 23:33:48 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:21:45PM -0400, Galen Charlton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's my summary of the high points from the in-person developer's meeting at the conference this morning.  This is from memory, so if you've got corrections, please let me know or reply to the thread.  For the sake of this email, I'm using "2.3" to refer to the release of Evergreen to follow 2.2.
>
> Time-based releases
> -------------------
> We agreed to continue working towards time-based releases, with two major releases a year.  To improve the changes of meeting this goal, after side discussion in recent days with various people, I had formally propose establishing a position of release manager.
>
> Release Manager/Release Maintainers
> -----------------------------------
> We discussed the proposal to define a release manager position, with the following results.  First, the position of release manager comes with the following responsibilities:
>
> - shepherding the release to ensure it happens on schedule and with acceptable quality
> - acting as a neutral technical arbiter regarding what is ready to include in the release by the scheduled release date
> - acting as final tie-breaker in case of otherwise irresolvable technical disputes
> - as needed to ensure proper vetting, signing off on major commits, particular ones that involve architectural changes
> - providing predictable, periodic updates on the state of the release to the rest of the community
>
> The position of the release maintainer has similar responsibilities as the release manager, but applied to point releases within a maintenance release series.  RMaints are expected to release point releases more frequently, e.g., every month.
>
> RMs and RMaints are chosen among the committers (in the case of RMs) or committers and active developers (in the case of RMaints) by consensus (or if necessary, election) among the developers and other contributors who attend the development meetings.  At today's meeting, the following people were chosen:
>
> RM for Evergreen 2.3: Bill Erickson
> RMaint for 2.2: Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley
> RMaint for 2.1: Dan Scott
>
> Release of 2.2.0
> ----------------
> We agreed to the following actions to get 2.2.0 out the door:
>
> - Jason Stephenson will spearhead a triage of open Launchpad bugs to find out what can be replicated and to target bugs to 2.2 when appropriate.
> - To encourage focusing on the release, for the next while, the master branch is frozen for all merges except commits related to getting 2.2.0 released.
> - We will cut a release candidate within 3-4 weeks, with the specific date to be set next week after the bug triage is complete.
> - We will release 2.2.0 by June 8th, possibly earlier (again, depending on the results of the bug triage).
> - Dan Scott will update the translations in the next few days; further string changes are expected to be modest.

Thanks Galen! The only things I have to add from my own notes are -
under assistance with bug wrangling, I had:

    ** Ben Shum for everything but authority
    ** Dan Scott for authority
    ** GSoC students to be asked to help Jason Stephenson

We identified a few candidate show-stoppers but the triage will tell
all:
    ** Slow search results

Thanks again for this summary!