[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Automatic stemming in Evergreen

Benjamin Kalish bkalish at forbeslibrary.org
Tue Aug 14 11:58:04 EDT 2012

As a librarian who frequently uses Evergreen at the reference desk, I would
prefer to have stemming used to retrieve results, but have exact matches
ranked highest, then close matches, and finally distant matches. The search
results for "assist" would then include the word "assist", "assists", and
"assistance" and all other derivative words, but matches for "assist" would
appear higher in the list.

I imagine it would take some ingenuity to make this work, but it would be a
far better user experience than simply turning stemming off or on.

Benjamin Kalish
Forbes Library / 413-587-1012 / bkalish at forbeslibrary.org

Currently reading: *The Big Sleep* by Raymond Chandler
Just Finished: *Parable of the Talents* by Octavia E. Butler.