[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature proposal: "Detailed serials"-view in OPAC

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Mon Aug 20 11:11:09 EDT 2012

Hello Olli,

First, I am really glad to see you will be building on Lebbeous's current code.  It's certainly the best public view we have of the managed serials data, and I would love to see it enhanced to the point that it can integrate more fully with the summary statement view (something which I've been working toward since March, but with a lack of tuits).  I am not sure if that is really on your agenda, but what I want to emphasize more than anything is that we need (in my opinion) to avoid adding any more 'either-or' type options (i.e. 'this does A and not B, and this does B and not A'), but instead really focus on configurable integration if at all possible (i.e. 'this does A, B, or C, or any combination thereof').  To achieve that goal is going to take a lot of open communication, so please don't hold back with letting us know your progress, or any questions or ideas you might have (the overly reserved man says to the guy with the pony-tail sticking out of the top of his head).  ;)

Second, Lebbeous will sometimes call me the "academic" serials guy, but what he usually means is that my library emphasizes the holdings statement over item-level management.  We work this way because we don't circulate any of our serials, we generally keep them forever (though with greater electronic access, this is changing all the time), and we have vast amounts of holdings data which is in statement form only.  While I think this is common for academics, I can't say with any certainty that the majority of academics work this way, and if we create a system which is good enough that we can get item-level management "for free" (that is, without the staff needing to worry about it on a day-to-day basis), I believe we would take it.  So, while we might struggle for labels, I am truly excited to have another perspective and skilled developer onboard, and I hope we can keep pushing together toward something which comprehensively solves the problem of serials for everyone.

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Wells, Library Programmer Analyst dbw2 at calvin.edu
Hekman Library at Calvin College