[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature proposal: SSN-censoring functionality

Peters, Michael MRPeters at library.IN.gov
Mon Aug 27 11:51:06 EDT 2012

Just for some perspective, Evergreen Indiana removed the SSN ident_type / label in 2011.  We gave libraries 30 days' notice to get rid of them (they were already outlawed by our policies, anyways).  We then purged our database of any entries that appeared to be SSN's and any that referred directly to the SSN label.

If you want to rip it out yourself right now, I just simply added this block of code to prevent it from being used on new or edited records during those 30 days.

In Open-ILS/web/js/ui/default/actor/user/register.js, modify the ident_type case as shown:

           case 'ident_type':
                widget.widget.isValid = function() {
                    if(this.attr("value") == 2) return false; return true;
                };
               break;

After that time, just simply run this SQL (as always, make a backup!) to get rid of them:

-- Reset any SSN's to empty strings, change to "Other" type
UPDATE actor.usr SET ident_type = 3, ident_value = '' WHERE ident_type = 2;

-- Delete the SSN identification_type (id=2) to prevent further use
DELETE FROM config.identification_type WHERE id = 2;

I imagine this could be used to build an upgrade script, as well, if the community decides to disable the SSN ident_type.  An even better script would use regex to delete anything with the "Other" type that matches the standards for SSN's.  We would, of course, need to be sure these didn't match valid driver's license numbers, or anything like that that might have been entered there.

Sincerely,
Michael Peters
Indiana State Library MIS | Inspire.IN.gov Helpdesk | Evergreen Indiana Helpdesk
office - 317.234.2128
email - mrpeters at library.in.gov