[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature proposal: SSN-censoring functionality

Peters, Michael MRPeters at library.IN.gov
Mon Aug 27 11:52:23 EDT 2012

Sorry for another email, but I'll give a +1 to everything Jason said here.  It's very simple to add a custom ident_type if a library decides they really should track SSN's.  Providing it as default in Evergreen only teaches bad habits, right? :)

Sincerely,
Michael Peters
Indiana State Library MIS | Inspire.IN.gov Helpdesk | Evergreen Indiana Helpdesk
office - 317.234.2128
email - mrpeters at library.in.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Jason Stephenson
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 11:33 AM
To: Open-ILS Dev
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature proposal: SSN-censoring functionality

Quoting Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org>:

> Stepping down from my soapbox, I see absolutely no reason for a US
> library to store a patron's SSN. A drivers' license number, perhaps,
> but not the SSN. My suggestion is to delete the field, and if
> someone needs to track such an identifier then let them figure it
> out within the bounds of their local law.

Of course, after saying the above, I realize that their isn't a SSN
field in the patron record, but the user ident_type and ident fields.
I guess the SSN label should be removed or whatever.

Frankly, it shouldn't be a technical issue. It is a policy issue to be
determined by each Evergreen user (and I use that term loosely). It's
also not unique to Evergreen.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services