[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature proposal: SSN-censoring functionality

Kivilahti Olli-Antti olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi
Wed Aug 29 03:29:32 EDT 2012

I agree with Mr. Peters that the default ident_type SSN should be
removed to not teach bad habits.
It is rather unfortunate that you see this solely as an en-US question,
considering how much you push for an International Evergreen Community.
The customizable SSN-censorer I came up with is a overkill atm, but if
somebody would like to store their SSN's in-db, and if we think of a
larger International scope that is highly probable, we should expect
this functionality to be used, not just in Finland. Just thinking on
large scale.

If we were to implement this, and would like to use it, is there
anything which objects to it's integration to master branch? This forces
no-one to use SSN's that's for sure, this general filter could be
applied to any ident_type really, if needed.

But there was an idea of a arbitrary identification number. We could use
a external program to store the SSN, accessible via this arbitrary id. I
don't think our staff will endorse this idea though.

Less time consuming alternatives are abundant, but unfortunately might
end up as very individual.

The main reason why we need to store SSNs, is the traceability of
patrons in case of offences. I think we could trace 90% of the cases
anyway, but how could we legally prove that this very person is the
culprit? Well I'll look into that.

How do other Evergreensters deal with the traceability of patrons in
case of offences, and press charges if needed? Or is your only tool of
punishment, expulsion?

--
Olli-Antti Kivilahti
Open Library 2013