[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature proposal: SSN-censoring functionality

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Wed Aug 29 04:37:30 EDT 2012

Well, in our consortium, we also do not use any SSN identifiers for
similar reasons to the others listed thus far.  We actually use the
ident_value field to store student ID numbers for our school library
patrons as an alternate means of identifying students separate from
barcodes, etc.  The student ID numbers usually match up with data from
other distinct school software used to manage student records in a
non-library capacity.  Our public libraries are not usually making use
of Evergreen's identification field due to this particular reservation
in our system.  We wouldn't want to hide or mask these student ID values
as far as I know.

That said, I wouldn't object to the originally stated proposal to create
an enhancement for Evergreen to allow for customized masking of any
ident type based on specific patterns.  To me, I would envision that the
default loading of patron data would just continue to assume you wanted
it in clear text unless configured otherwise. That way, libraries who
don't care about protecting or using the field can keep it simple, and
libraries that do want to protect sensitive data stored in the field
(whatever that is or for whatever reasons) can be allowed to do so.

Keeping it generalized rather than pinning it specifically to SSN (and
all the issues known to exist for us crazy US folk) seems like a
reasonable course of action to me.

To the last question though about tracing bad patrons for punishment...
while some Evergreeners may follow the Technical discussion lists, I
would imagine you'd get more potential responses from library
administrators / policy makers if you were to pass the question along to
the General list instead.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum