[OPEN-ILS-DEV] MARC Editor - On save alerts

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Mon Feb 13 17:06:27 EST 2012

Hello,

We use a few 9xx fields for local data -- and number of others seem to do the same.

Over time, we see 9xx get a bit bloated with copy catalogued 9xx data, plus the occasional 9xx tag(s) that are in reality mis-tagged and having real data (e.g. a "856" that get's mistakenly tagged as a "956" field, etc.).

Question: has anybody explored or created any "on-save" alerts for MARC data?  Or are there any plans to support this kind of thing.

In our case, we use a few 9xx fields for local data, so what I'm thinking of is an validation rule that checks for unwanted 9xx tags (excluding of course the system generated 901 field plus any of our custom local 9xx tags) and then returning a simple alert to the staff client user when undesirable 9xx data are going to be saved with the record. Then the message / alert offers option to return to the record to edit out the unwanted 9xx or continue to save etc.

Thanks,

George
George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan