[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Yet Another Relevancy Ranking Discussion

Justin Hopkins justin at mobiusconsortium.org
Mon Jul 23 14:36:52 EDT 2012

After our migration this weekend and while I was poking around in the catalog looking for particular items I knew were there I realized that if you enter a title into the keyword search you're most likely gonna have a bad time. From the documentation it's clear to my why this is and how to fix it but I'm stuck wondering why Evergreen doesn't include some of the tweaks that as far as I can tell a lot of db admins are having to make.

Is there a reason why titles aren't given a boost by default in the keyword index? My feeling - and those of pretty much everyone I've talked to is that patrons use keyword search to search for titles and that they'd be better served if the default ranking weights reflected this.

Thoughts?
justin