[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Yet Another Relevancy Ranking Discussion

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Mon Jul 23 15:49:45 EDT 2012

Hi Justin,

We just recently added boosts for titles (and some other indexes) in the
keyword index for two of our consortia, and I was inclined to ask the same
question you just asked. However, we have since seen at least one negative
side effect to adding this boost that is outlined at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1019360. When excluding a search
term, there are times when results with that particular term appear in your
search results because that term is not included in the title index you
added for weighting. As an example, if you create a title proper index with
the keyword class, and then search twilight -meyer, the Stephanie Meyer
novel will appear in your search results because "meyer" is not included in
that title proper index.

I'm not sure we would want to add that functionality by default if it causes
other problems with a search.

Ideally, I would love it if there were a way to add weight for particular
indexes while also being able to exclude terms when they appear anywhere in
the record.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator