[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Internationalization support in Evergreen

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Jun 1 16:37:42 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Job D R Borges <job at nupelia.uem.br> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>

>> I am reviewing and updating the Brazilian translations at launchpad.net.
>> Nowadays the restrictions status for Evergreen translations in Launchpad is
>> "Open",
>> which means that anyone can translate without revision.
>> I am working to get a very good quality for Brazilian Translations,
>> revising all entries.
>>
>> Then I am looking, for someone that know how to change the current Status,
>> to "Restricted",
>> to change to a more quality control process for translations.
>
> Hi Job:
>
> Thanks so much for you contributions to date!
>
> To date we haven't really had anyone stepping up like you to take more
> direct responsibility for a given language, so we haven't had to
> figure out that process. This is a good problem to have! I'll take a
> look at Launchpad to figure out what the process is for assigning a
> given language to "Restricted" and granting you reviewer status so
> that you can sign off on any contributed translations to Brazilian
> languages.
>
> It's probably a good time to ask if anyone wants to take on a similar
> responsibility for other languages. And maybe someday we'll have a
> real overall translation coordinator too!

Okay, I've opted to set things at "Structured" rather than
"Restricted" for now. Per
https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/PermissionPolicies,
"Structured" enables people to contribute to languages that have no
assigned team or person, whereas "Restricted" prevents such
submissions. I think we still want to allow "drive by" contributions
to languages for which no-one has stepped up to take formal
responsibility.

As Job has asked to be responsible for the Brazilian languages, I
think it would make sense to create an "evergreen-i18n-br" group that
contains Job, rather than just assigning Job directly; that way more
people can be added to the group if necessary to share the burden with
Job (a problem that we can hope to happen!).

And that would give us a similar approach to follow for other
languages, so if people step up, we could create "evergreen-i18n-cs"
and "evergreen-i18n-ru", etc. Sound good?

Dan