[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Interesting in contribute to the create android client(s) for ever green project

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Fri Mar 30 09:01:31 EDT 2012

Hello Gayan,

Thank you for your interest in the GSoC Evergreen project.  I apologize for not replying sooner, but our answers are pretty generic at this point, so maybe you figured things out from other questions being asked.

There is currently one week left in the GSoC application timeline.  We have many students already who are interested in the Android idea, so I expect the competition for that opening will be very high.  That said, this is my first year as a mentor, so I really don't know how things will turn out.  If you have some Android code to share, please do.  You may send it to the list or directly to me.

You may have heard all this already, but a good starting point for more information about developing for Evergreen is our ideas page [1] and our documentation of the developer virtual image [2], which is probably the fastest way for you to get up and running with a test Evergreen system.

Our main application requirement is that students should submit a patch or point to a Git branch that fixes a small bug or adds a small enhancement to Evergreen.  One weakness of Evergreen is that the developer documentation is scant, so the best way to begin learning the system is to both try it out and read through some of the code itself.  You can also see a list of known bugs [3], and you can limit that list to "bite-size" bugs, which are simple bugs we have identified to help new developers get started.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[1] http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:summer_of_coding_ideas
[2] http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:quick-start_introduction_and_virtual_image