[OPEN-ILS-DEV] After 2.2 naming / schedule

rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Tue May 15 17:37:36 EDT 2012

 From an administrative stand point I like the March/September
schedule.  Without going into a lot of detail it works around the
important to avoid events for public libraries in my consortium.

As for the numbering ... aside from the rational and reasonable
reasons for 2.3 versus 3.0, there is the psychological as well.  Let's
just say a jump to 3.0 will generate some ... anxiety.

Quoting Bill Erickson <erickson at esilibrary.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> As we look toward planning the next release of Evergreen (after
> 2.2), there are a couple of simple, but important questions we need
> to answer.
>
> 1. Is it time to jump to 3.0 or do we stay with 2.3?
>
> I'm not aware of any significant architectural changes (e.g.
> changing PG versions) on the horizon, which would suggest we stick
> with 2.3.  Perhaps it's too early to tell?
>
> For reference: http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=versioning
>
> 2. Do we return to the originally proposed March/September release schedule?
>
> My impression is there's a general consensus to do this.  It would
> lead to a shortened development cycle for next release, so I would
> like to give everyone a chance to voice their concerns / alternate
> suggestions and put this to a vote.
>
> Once we have these questions answered, we can start outlining a schedule.
>
> Thanks everyone.
>
> -b
>
> --
> Bill Erickson
> | Senior Software Developer
> | Equinox Software, Inc. / Your Library's Guide to Open Source
> | phone: 877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
> | email: erickson at esilibrary.com
> | web: http://esilibrary.com

Rogan Hamby
Manager Rock Hill Library & Reference Services
York County Library System

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's
too dark
to read." - Groucho Marx