[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen 2.2 RC1 fresh install questions

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Thu May 24 10:03:17 EDT 2012

For 2.2, the goal was to replace the original slimpac (simple OPAC) with
Tpac and it is there now as the simple catalog.  However, there is still
ongoing work to further enhance and refine various aspects and add
features to Tpac before it will fully replace the JSPac.  The projected
time table discussed in previous developer meetings assumed that Tpac
would become the default by the next Evergreen release 2.3 with JSPac
being removed by the next release after that.

That said, Bibliomation upgraded to using Tpac as our only catalog in
production back in early April.  Overall, patron response has been very
positive.  The interface is significantly faster than previous catalogs
and has a cleaner look and feel to it.  We have continually worked with
other members of the Evergreen Community to test and adjust our Tpac as
new bugs are identified and fixed or new development work is ready for
testing.

Some pending features for Tpac (so far) are listed on this wiki page:
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:opac:template-toolkit:plan

We noted several of those "missing" features during our review but did
not consider them to be serious deal-breakers against adopting Tpac.  As
far as "stable and well tested" though, my opinion is that it should
definitely fulfill the intended replacement for the simple catalog.  But
I think each Evergreen site will need to evaluate carefully for
themselves whether Tpac is good enough to fit their needs now or wait
longer before adopting it.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum