[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Proposal for search modifications for Evergreen 2.4

Jeffrey Bond jbond.evergreen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:52:52 EDT 2012

Greetings Evergreen Developers,

I’d like to propose a few changes to search functionality for the Evergreen
application.  Here is some relevant information on the changes. I had read
in an e-mail that blueprints may no longer be needed? I added one anyways
but I can remove it if needed. Note that all changes proposed here can be
turned on or off as defined in the wiki; if and when these changes are
added they will not change the functionality of Evergreen unless an
organization specific option is selected to do so. Thank you all for
considering these changes.

Quick Overview:

-          Option to change search functionality.

-          Exact match will search differently.

-          Contains phrase will search differently.

*Exact match* and *contains phrase* search for phrases the same way *
contains* does. This option will change that. *Contains phrase* will search
for words contained in the phrase together, and *exact match* will search
for an exact match of the phrase (after normalization).

-          Searches when using ALL normalized characters will now search
for results as intended.

A search such as “!!!” will qualify as the band named “!!!” instead of
being normalized out and returning 0 results.

Full overview can be found in links below.

Wiki -
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=dev:proposal:search_modifications

Blueprint -
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/evergreen/+spec/search-modifications

Thank you for considering these changes, as always please give me
suggestions on how to improve these proposed modifications. I am still new
to this procedure J