[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Introduction / FreeBSD supporter seeks mentor

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Tue Oct 16 08:53:52 EDT 2012

Quoting Jim Long <evergreen at umpquanet.com>:

> Hello, my name is Jim Long and I'm interested in providing
> assistance to other developers who are working on making
> Evergreen easier to port to BSD Unix systems.
>
> I have a lot of background with FreeBSD administration, but I'm
> new to both git and Evergreen itself.  I have an intermediate
> level of exposure to SQL development (largely in PHP) and
> administration with Postgres and MySQL, and am pleased to see
> that Evergreen uses Postgres, my personal preference.
>
> I'm trying to follow Bill Erickson's Evergreen-on-FreeBSD
> installation procedure, and find that I am stuck on a couple
> issues.
>
> http://yeti.esilibrary.com/~berick/docs/eg_freebsd.html
>
> Working my way through the page, my first stumbling block is
> under the section 'Fetching the OpenSRF and Evergreen sources':
>
> su opensrf
> cd /home/opensrf
> git clone git://git.evergreen-ils.org/OpenSRF.git
> git clone git://git.evergreen-ils.org/Evergreen.git
> # XXX Add "working" remote for both repos and checkout the
> collab/berick/bsd-compat branch
> exit # su opensrf
>
> The two explicit git invocations worked fine, but I have no idea
> how to improvise on the theme of the commented 'XXX' line.
> Nevertheless I tried to press on.

You won't get anywhere on FreeBSD without Bill's branch or mine.

You can add the remote working repo like so:

git remote add working git://git.evergreen-ils.org/working/Evergreen.git
git fetch working

I'd recommend you checkout my freebsd-compat branch because it is the
most recent attempt at installing Evergreen on FreeBSD:

git checkout -b frebsd-compat working/user/dyrcona/freebsd-compat
git rebase origin master

You want to do the rebase to bring it up to date with the latest
changes in master. I haven't touched that branch in about 6 months.

You will run into conflicts if you rebase, so my best advice is to
actually hold off until someone says the branch has been brought up to
date with recent changes in master. If you're feeling bold, you can
try to resolve the conflicts yourself.

> However, perhaps related to skipping over the
> collab/berick/bsd-compat git branch above, under the next
> section, 'Install OpenSRF', I have no file autogen.sh in the
> directory /home/opensrf/OpenSRF.
>
> Looking ahead in Bill's installation procedure, I can see there
> is no autogen.sh in /home/opensrf/Evergreen either.

Bill's instructions are out of date. The autogen.sh script has been
removed. The README now instructs that you run autoreconf -i. There
should also be a more up to date version of the FreeBSD install
instructions in the docs directory on the FreeBSD-compat branch. The
file path is docs/eg-freebsd.txt from the git root. However, that
documentation hasn't been updated in 6 months so you may need to check
for drift between these instructions and the README.

OpenSRF installs pretty much as-is following the directions in
eg-freebsd.txt. You will need the freebsd-compat branch in order to
install Evergreen.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services