[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Introduction / FreeBSD supporter seeks mentor

Jim Long evergreen at umpquanet.com
Mon Oct 15 19:13:44 EDT 2012

Hello, my name is Jim Long and I'm interested in providing
assistance to other developers who are working on making
Evergreen easier to port to BSD Unix systems.

I have a lot of background with FreeBSD administration, but I'm
new to both git and Evergreen itself.  I have an intermediate
level of exposure to SQL development (largely in PHP) and
administration with Postgres and MySQL, and am pleased to see
that Evergreen uses Postgres, my personal preference.

I'm trying to follow Bill Erickson's Evergreen-on-FreeBSD
installation procedure, and find that I am stuck on a couple
issues.

http://yeti.esilibrary.com/~berick/docs/eg_freebsd.html

Working my way through the page, my first stumbling block is
under the section 'Fetching the OpenSRF and Evergreen sources':

su opensrf
cd /home/opensrf
git clone git://git.evergreen-ils.org/OpenSRF.git
git clone git://git.evergreen-ils.org/Evergreen.git
# XXX Add "working" remote for both repos and checkout the collab/berick/bsd-compat branch
exit # su opensrf

The two explicit git invocations worked fine, but I have no idea
how to improvise on the theme of the commented 'XXX' line.
Nevertheless I tried to press on.

However, perhaps related to skipping over the
collab/berick/bsd-compat git branch above, under the next
section, 'Install OpenSRF', I have no file autogen.sh in the
directory /home/opensrf/OpenSRF.

Looking ahead in Bill's installation procedure, I can see there
is no autogen.sh in /home/opensrf/Evergreen either.

So that's where I am, I guess.  I'd appreciate any suggestions or
pointers to resources that might help me advance.

And I would enjoy corresponding with other interested FreeBSD users.

Thank you,

Jim