[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Introduction / FreeBSD supporter seeks mentor

Jim Long evergreen at umpquanet.com
Tue Oct 16 18:55:47 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 08:53:52AM -0400, Jason Stephenson wrote:

> You won't get anywhere on FreeBSD without Bill's branch or mine.
>
> You can add the remote working repo like so:
>
> git remote add working git://git.evergreen-ils.org/working/Evergreen.git
> git fetch working
>
> I'd recommend you checkout my freebsd-compat branch because it is the
> most recent attempt at installing Evergreen on FreeBSD:
>
> git checkout -b frebsd-compat working/user/dyrcona/freebsd-compat
> git rebase origin master
>
> You want to do the rebase to bring it up to date with the latest
> changes in master. I haven't touched that branch in about 6 months.
>
> You will run into conflicts if you rebase, so my best advice is to
> actually hold off until someone says the branch has been brought up to
> date with recent changes in master. If you're feeling bold, you can
> try to resolve the conflicts yourself.

Once Galen told me to 'cd Evergreen', all of the above went just swimmingly.
Even 'git rebase origin master' said everything was up to date.

> Bill's instructions are out of date. The autogen.sh script has been
> removed. The README now instructs that you run autoreconf -i. There
> should also be a more up to date version of the FreeBSD install
> instructions in the docs directory on the FreeBSD-compat branch. The
> file path is docs/eg-freebsd.txt from the git root. However, that
> documentation hasn't been updated in 6 months so you may need to check
> for drift between these instructions and the README.
>
> OpenSRF installs pretty much as-is following the directions in
> eg-freebsd.txt. You will need the freebsd-compat branch in order to
> install Evergreen.

It seems my obstacle now is that I have no file docs/eg-freebsd.txt.

eg_test : 15:42:57 /home/opensrf/Evergreen# find . -type d -name docs
./docs
eg_test : 15:43:00 /home/opensrf/Evergreen# find ./docs -type f | grep -i bsd
eg_test : 15:43:07 /home/opensrf/Evergreen#