[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feature Proposal: New Tab

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Oct 18 10:32:25 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I think there are two different cases we need to consider here: the end
user who is searching the public catalog and the staff person who is
searching the catalog in the client.

For the public catalog, I think it's advisable to replicate the behavior
seen in other search services (Google, Amazon, Bing) because this is the
experience users have come to expect. When you perform searches on these
sites, when the user clicks on a link, they stay in their own
tab/window. For those who care about tab behavior and are in a browser
that supports it, they will open a result in a new tab by whatever means
is available in that browser. They will also be able to do so when they
are searching Evergreen. I put a lot of faith into what I'm sure is
highly-funded usability testing done by Google and Amazon.

I had been thinking this proposal was primarily concerned with the staff
client, where staff have very little control over opening search results
in a new tab. I have often been frustrated when I can't open several
titles from a search results page into different tabs.

I also think the Ctrl-click behavior (or a context menu) is ideal here.
In most cases, I know what I'm looking for and want to load the result
in my current tab. However, when I'm doing a subject-specific search
where I may want to look at several records, I prefer to open them in a
new tab so that I can open them at one time and then deal with them,
rather than clicking back and forth between a title record and the
search results screen.

I'm also concerned that any automatic behavior could become problematic
because users may not be aware of how many tabs they have opened. In
systems that have set a ceiling to the number of tabs that could be
opened, the user may quickly reach that maximum and become annoyed. In
systems where users can have unlimited tabs open, you may come across
cases where the staff client starts using a lot of memory because there
are now 30 tabs open. In this particular case, I think it's better that
the staff person be conscious of the fact that he/she has opened a new tab.

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
(508) 343-0128