[OPEN-ILS-DEV] TPAC localization

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Oct 22 11:28:18 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Kivilahti Olli-Antti
<olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi> wrote:
> Howdy hou Evergreensters! (sorry bshum)
> It looks like the new TPAC can't really be localized and we are planning
> to start making it localizable using the existing gettext tools. Anyone
> working on that yet?

Can you please explain exactly what you mean by "can't really be
localized"? I think some of my neurons popped when they read that
sentence.

> We are planning to start work on the matter on 11.11. So far we have
> encountered unlocalizable text fields in Create New Patron -view, and
> various staff_client views, like acquisitions etc.

In the staff client, sure, there are some interfaces that need to have
hardcoded strings replaced.

> The main concern atm
> is TPAC, as we haven't found a way to localize it with traditional
> tools. Any insight into the matter will be appreciated, anyone working
> on that?

As noted above, I find this a surprising statement. Examples would
help a lot. The TPAC is almost entirely set up to be translated, and
does a far better job of supporting complex translations (including
standard gettext singular/plural support) than most of the other
sections of Evergreen. Or by "localized" do you mean
date/time/currency formatting, which probably does need some work?