[OPEN-ILS-DEV] TPAC localization (Dan Scott)

Job D R Borges job at nupelia.uem.br
Wed Oct 24 15:48:36 EDT 2012

Hello All,

EG was my first big project on translation.
IMHO I found that launchpad, like any other online plataform,
that I have used, could only be used for very small projects,
or for corrections and maintaining.
Launchpad, is really solid, and has a good interface.

To work on Begin a big .po, like many translator, I prefer do it OffLine.
I use a mix of tools, LibreOffice Calc, Translation-toolkit and Poedit,
that is by far the better option IMHO.

How to do?

On Linux!
Download all .po
convert using po2csv to a work-file.csv
Open in LibreOffice Calc.
- Create a column (LineNumber), and fill 1..N (This is for re-order )
- Order by Source Col
- Select 50lines (for ex) from Source-Col, copy&past - to (some
(Google,Prompt,Bing), Online Translators),
-- compare. and choose the better. copy and past back to SOURCE col (next
from you get).
-- make your corrections. try to verify context (poedit, with po)  when you
think that are need.
- Convert csv2po work-file.csv work-file.po , adjust the header part of po
with text Editor (ex. Gedit) (copy the header from the original
you-language.po) , (po2csv remove header on convertion)
- Merge a clean po (pot file, or the en po) with your translated .po, with
msgmerge

Now you have the translated.

You can also, use GoogleDocs spreadsheet, you you want collaborate, but
participants must make rules for that.

Its only a way that I choose, after trying many others.

Job

--
Antes de imprimir, pense em sua responsabilidade e compromisso com o MEIO