[OPEN-ILS-DEV] EG2013 Hackfest wrap-up thanks and thoughts

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Apr 11 12:37:43 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> Yesterday's hackfest was a lot of fun!

It was!  We should do this as often as possible.

> I also want to extend special thanks to Mark Jordan for ensuring that
> everything went as smoothly as possible and for guiding us to all of the
> resources that we really needed to get things done (wifi, coffee, power,
> and food!)

I echo my thanks to Mark Jordan and the conference as well, and I
thank you, Dan, for doing an excellent job of cat-herding.

> For example, it might have been useful to have virtual images or hosted
> images available for those who arrive without already having access to a
> test instance of Evergreen... or perhaps we could have explicitly told
> would-be attendees well in advance that they're expected to have a
> working dev instance of Evergreen available when they arrive at the
> hackfest (possibly pointing at a virtual image).

I think making sure that folks have access to a test VM is a good
idea.  My preference is that we point folks to a VM image that they
can set up in advance.

I like that you encouraged folks to do lightning talks about the
hackfest projects, and I'm looking forward to those.  But a thought:
how about at the end of the formal hackfest session we also have a
little wrap-up where somebody from each team spends a couple minutes
summarizing what they did.  Call it a chain-lightning-talk session?

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton