[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Re: Making a serials roadmap of sorts, openly

Kivilahti Olli-Antti olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi
Thu Feb 14 04:09:49 EST 2013

Thanks Leb for starting this wonderful thread!

I promised to send the key issues we need to solve and here is an
excerpt from the HIGHLY classified email I sent to Messrs. Fogle-Weekley
and Scott:

STARTING TRANSMISSION

We were browsing the git log with Pasi and found out that lately you two
have made a lot of contributions to the Serials module.
This made us to believe that you are currently working on Serials and
you might have some kind of an idea about the Serials development roadmap.

We did some testing sessions last December to identify issues with EG's
Serials module. We got a selection of issues that are missing or we are
unable to modify our processes to suit.
I would like to compare your goals with ours and find out if we can
somehow align our targets.

The key issues:
-We need to be able to target holds for serials in acquisition as soon
as we know they will be ordered. So holds for item predictions.
-In Serials control view, we need to be able to filter the HUGE
predicted items group atleast by the org_unit.
-We need to be able to add Marc-fields (or some kind of searchable tags)
to specific issue numbers. We might have a "Christmas special" issue, or
a "Housing heating" special issue.
-We need to be able to search for specific issue number and for possible
tags/MARC-fields associated. Issues might have multiple names as their
names can change during their existence.
-We need to revert the way issues are displayed in the TPAC. Issues need to be displayed number-first instead of org_unit-first as this is more logical to our public masses.
-We need to make numbers holdable like we can make items holdable on multiple levels, so our patrons can get the most available issue from the closest org_unit delivered to them.

These are the identified targets but certainly, considering the
architecture of the Serials module, some might be impossible to implement.

Olli-Antti Kivilahti
Open Library 2014
Joensuu Regional Library

P.S. See you in Vancouver!
P.P.S. We are arriving to Vancouver on the 3rd of April, so we can certainly meet before the conference.

STOP