[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SIPServer stops responding

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Wed Feb 20 11:55:20 EST 2013

On 2013-02-12, at 12:27 , Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org> wrote:

> Quoting "Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich" <alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu>:
>
>> We are running SIPServer with Evergreen 2.3.1. The SIPServer works for a while, and then seems to just stop responding, including to local requests via telnet. A restart of the SIPServer fixes the problem… until next time.
>>
>> There is nothing obvious in the SIP log. Any suggestions for where I should look to try to troubleshoot this issue?
>
> Is it still working with already connected clients and just refusing new connections? Does it stop responding to already connected clients? Did those clients have any errors and disconnect from the server without actually logging out/shutting down the connection?

Thanks, Jason. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to troubleshoot this problem in more detail. So, I don't have reliable answers to any of these questions.

> My first thought is that you may need to increase the number of allowed servers and set your min spare servers in the oils_sip.xml file. You want min_servers to be at least 1, min_spare_servers to be at least 1, and max_servers > 2. (We use 80 for the latter, but we have several locations with multiple self checks and PC signup systems.)

The number of allowed servers was first set at 50. After the connection problem reoccured, I set it at 100. The problem persisted, so I don't think this was the cause.

The min_servers was set at 1, but min_spare_servers was at 0, so maybe that was the cause. However, on a different server (with much lower usage) min_spare_servers is currently set at 0, but it is not causing any issues.

My "solution" prior to receiving this response was to just comment out the whole section. The SIP server has been running since then without problems. Admittedly this is not awesome, but until I get a chance to re-enable those settings and test with min_spare_servers value set to 1, I will just let it run as is.

I updated http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:sip&#configuring_the_server based on your recommendation.

Aleksey Lazar
PALS
IS Developer and Integrator