[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Feb. maintenance releases -> Thursday

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Wed Feb 20 12:04:09 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 09:05:54AM -0500, Bill Erickson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > If there are no objections, I'd like to cut the monthly maintenance
> > releases tomorrow (21st) instead of today.
>
> I have no objections to seeing the release cut tomorrow rather than
> today...
>
> > Merge ye bugs while ye may.
>
> ...but I would rather not see a rush of bug fixes getting merged
> today. We have to get out of the last-minute-rush mindset. And we have
> another maintenance release in one more month.

That's short-hand for:  Hi everyone, we're cutting monthly maintenance
releases tomorrow.  As a friendly reminder, any code that's merged after
today will not be included in the next release.  Please merge responsibly.

> Wouldn't it be better to just cut an RC based on what we have right now,
> and only modify it if testing reveals that a regression slipped in?

That's fine with me.  Just to be clear going forward, the monthly
maintenance schedule sets the merge cut-off at the intended date (maybe the
night before?) regardless of when the actual releases are built (barring
exceptions like security issues, major problems, etc.)?

Merge ye code while ye 3rd Wednesday looms!

FYI, the 2.3.4 RC won't be cut until tonight/tomorrow.

-b

--
Bill Erickson