[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Assistance request with a SIP connection problem

Antti Kurenniemi antti.kurenniemi at pv-supa.com
Thu Jun 20 02:19:43 EDT 2013

Hello all.

My name is Antti Kurenniemi, I work for P.V. Supa Oy Ltd (www.pv-supa.com<http://www.pv-supa.com>), a library automation company. We make self-service stations and sorters and the likes, and also the software to those. We are based in Finland (as am I), and have delivered sorters to the US for over a decade already.

For about a year now, we have seen our customers using Evergreen as their ILS. For the most part we have not had any problems, but right now we have one sorter installation in the US with a fairly annoying issue.

Our devices communicate with ILS's via SIP protocol (SIP 1 or 2, typically 2), normally over a TCP/IP connection. In this particular case, the SIP connection is broken quite often, about once or twice an hour. The network connection stays live, but the SIP connection just closes. It comes up automatically after a few minutes and our device can then continue normal operations, but obviously if a patron is using the machine when the connection breaks, they can't return their books.

I have between zero and zilch experience with Evergreen server, so I'm looking for help and advice as to where to start looking. We have logs in our device with timestamps, so if there is logging in the Evergreen server that we could compare these to, that would be a good place to start, right? Now if only I knew how to get to any logs... ;-)

So, any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

With best regards,

Antti Kurenniemi
P.V. Supa Oy Ltd
antti.kurenniemi at pv-supa.com<mailto:antti.kurenniemi at pv-supa.com>