[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Mr. Rylander, we have a problem.

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Thu Mar 14 11:53:07 EDT 2013

I was not around much yesterday, so I'm still playing catch up with
everything that's happened.  But I feel that I need to say something in
this area as well.

First of all, I'd like to emphasize that I am very grateful and
appreciative of efforts made by *all* developers in this community to
bring forward exciting new features and fixes for Evergreen over the
last several years.  I've always felt that we do more good for the world
with our participation.

That said, I am disappointed over the situation regarding Launchpad bug
1154766 and other tickets merged suddenly yesterday.  The one week
waiting period for pushing new features to master was agreed upon as
only a "recommendation" during the January dev meeting, but I have also
taken it close to my heart to abide more strictly by that
recommendation.  Prior, I'd been at least twice approached by other core
committers (not Jason or Thomas) for pushing new features to master from
bug tickets that they wished to have had some more time to comment/work
on, so I've been very careful to pay attention to my own timing of
commit work ever since.

While I may not comment on every bug ticket that comes into Launchpad,
either for lack of time, knowledge, or otherwise, I do make great
efforts to read them all and assist with management of tickets to the
best of my ability.  Jason and Thomas are not the only ones who are
looking at tickets in Launchpad regarding upcoming new features.  I also
was in the process of informing catalogers at Bibliomation about
potential upcoming changes to the Acquisitions interface yesterday and
getting geared up to help test/review the changes.  Seeing those changes
committed so soon after they were announced did not give us much
opportunity there alas.  This is not to say we cannot do our testing
directly off code committed to master (it's an ever-changing target and
we often do that since we can't possibly test out everything on our own
end), but I do think it could have been handled a little differently.

In the future, I would appreciate a little more notice (perhaps begging
the patience of all developers) and consideration for a stronger
adherence to the recommended waiting period before pushing any new
features.  Evidently, we have passed over an unseen line alluded to in
the January meeting and need to be clearer in our development processes
and approaches.  I do think that certain exceptions should be made
available to the release managers for handling various situations, but
I'd like to see the role and options available to them more clearly
defined as well.

Motivations aside, I feel that we're all very passionate about how
Evergreen development happens, so I'd like to encourage further open and
professional discussion about this in channels or perhaps when we meet
in Vancouver next month.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum