[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Putting the community's QA money where our dev mouth is

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Tue Nov 5 11:56:40 EST 2013

I'm with Dan, and my offer is still on table for hand-holding.  We
need to maintain momentum for this to be effective.  Do we want to
organize an online training session for how to write tests, perhaps
immediately following the next dev meeting?  Galen and I volunteer for
teaching that.  Galen in particular has insight from QA from within
the Koha community.

And/or maybe we need to forgo a "gentle easing" into test writing and
be more strict going forward with the next major Evergreen release?
Mike has committed to writing pgTAP tests for his upgrade scripts.
Does anyone else want to make such a commitment?  We'd love to help.

> FWIW, should anyone want to follow some commits to teach themselves how
> to add pgTap tests, I did go through the learning process to support
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1242999 - the tests I created
> and the instructions for running them are basic, but they're a start.
> Thanks to Galen for giving me a pointer in the right direction.

Awesome, Dan.  We also have integration tests, and Bill put out
another example recently:

I haven't had a chance to wear my developer's hat very often lately,
but I think I'm at a point with my continuous integration work where
we can start monitoring http://testing.evergreen-ils.org/~live/ for
integration test failures.  It generates a simple RSS feed that we can
subscribe our IRC bot to, like we do with Buildbot.

--
Jason Etheridge