[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Web Client (Sprint 1) demo - initial testing results

Benjamin Kalish bkalish at forbeslibrary.org
Wed Aug 27 12:16:39 EDT 2014

I very much like the idea of using this opportunity to reevaluate the menus
and splash page.

Search the Catalog definitely belongs under Search, not under Cataloging.

It would great if the splash screen could vary from one user to another.
There is no need for users who aren't using cataloging functions to see
them on the splash page, for example.

"Search For Patron By Name" is misnamed, since this is where you go to
search for a patron by any criteria. It should read just "Search for
patron".

"Check Out Items" should be "Retrieve Patron by Barcode" since that is what
it does.

It would be better if the linked "Evergreen Documentation" were only for
the client. Most of the linked document will be unhelpful to those using
the client.

Also, some questions and observations about the client in general:

1. Why is there a separate check-in and capture holds? In my experience, we
rarely don't want to do both of these things at once. (Apparently this is
true in the current client too, but I have only ever used check-in [which
does capture holds, at least the way things are set up here] and I didn't
realize the other existed until I just checked.)

2. Why does the Holds Pull List print so differently from the way it is
displayed on the screen? Can the print view be customized? (I couldn't find
an appropriately named template under administration.)

3. When configuring columns, what does is the function of the row labeled
"sort"?

4. The "Configure Columns" option is a toggle and so should have a check
mark when it is in use. It might also be nice to have a button to turn off
configure columns without having to return to the menu.

5. The page navigation is very nice, but the grey for disabled icons is
dark enough that if all the icons are disabled (which happens whenever
there is only one page of data to show) it isn't cleared that they are
disabled. If they were lighter this would be clearer.

6. I wonder if the results per page picker could be labeled more clearly. I
know "results per page" or "rows per page" is more verbose,  but the
current label of "rows" doesn't make the function clear.

Thanks for all the hard work, everyone!

Benjamin Kalish
Forbes Library / 413-587-1012 / bkalish at forbeslibrary.org

Currently reading: *Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City
One Step at a Time* by Mark Adams and *1Q84 *by Haruki Murakami
Just Finished: *Marco Polo: from Venice to Xanadu* by Laurence Bergreen