[OPEN-ILS-DEV] How to interpret the MODS32 file to see what bib tag 600 subfields are indexed?

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Thu Feb 27 18:03:33 EST 2014

Hello,

I wanted to learn how to figure out what subfields are indexed in EG 2.5.1 for tag 600 when doing searches. This is the approach I took, but I am not sure it is correct.

I first checked the table config.metabi_field to see the entries for subjects.

Which mostly look like this…

 12 | subject     | name         | Name Subject                | //mods32:mods/mods32:subject/mods32:name         |      1 | mods32
 16 | subject     | complete     | All Subjects                | //mods32:mods/mods32:subject                     |      1 | mods32
 11 | subject     | geographic   | Geographic Subject          | //mods32:mods/mods32:subject/mods32:geographic  |      1 | mods32
 13 | subject     | temporal     | Temporal Subject            | //mods32:mods/mods32:subject/mods32:temporal    |      1 | mods32
 14 | subject     | topic        | Topic Subject               | //mods32:mods/mods32:subject/mods32:topic       |      1 | mods32

I then opened up the MODS32 file from here…

 /openils/var/xsl/MARC21slim2MODS32.xsl

I then found the general entry for tag 600 that starts at line 2614:

     <xsl:template match="marc:datafield[@tag=600]">
          <subject>
               <xsl:call-template name="subjectAuthority"></xsl:call-template>
               <name type="personal">
                    <namePart>
                         <xsl:call-template name="chopPunctuation">
                              <xsl:with-param name="chopString">
                                   <xsl:call-template name="subfieldSelect">
                                        <xsl:with-param name="codes">aq</xsl:with-param>
                                   </xsl:call-template>
                              </xsl:with-param>
                         </xsl:call-template>
                    </namePart>
                    <xsl:call-template name="termsOfAddress"></xsl:call-template>
                    <xsl:call-template name="nameDate"></xsl:call-template>
                    <xsl:call-template name="affiliation"></xsl:call-template>
                    <xsl:call-template name="role"></xsl:call-template>
               </name>
               <xsl:call-template name="subjectAnyOrder"></xsl:call-template>
          </subject>
     </xsl:template>

I first see that it looks like subfield "aq" might be indexed from the us of…

<xsl:with-param name="codes">aq</xsl:with-param>

I then reviewed all of the templates mentioned by <xsl:call-template name="xyz">, and I seem to get the following subfields that are potentially indexed…

from <xsl:template name="termsOfAddress"> I see subfields "bc" potentially  indexed

from <xsl:template name="nameDate"> I see subfield "d" potentially  indexed

from <xsl:template name="affiliation"> I see subfield "u" potentially  indexed

from <xsl:template name="role"> I see subfields "e4" potentially  indexed

from <xsl:template name="subjectAnyOrder"> I see subfields "vxyz" potentially  indexed

Does this seem correct? Initially I was just trying to find out if bib tag 600 "t" was indexed, and I think for at least a fresh EG 2.5.1 system does not index that subfield.

Thanks in advance,
Yamil