[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Proposed changes to indexing_ingest_or_delete

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 15:58:02 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Liam Whalen
<liam.whalen at bc.libraries.coop> wrote:

>> Is your primary goal the ability to deal with record attributes and
>> conditionally pre-delete stale data? Other than that, everything is
>> fairly well factored out of biblio.indexing_ingest_or_delete(), so the
>> rest of this email will assume that ... If I'm wrong, please advise
>> and ignore what I say here. ;)
>>

> This came about because Sitka wants to change our titlesort from using 245 $a to using 245 $a and $b.
>
> Once we make these changes, I am assuming we will need to run index_ingest_or_delete on all the records to have the titlesort change reflected across our catalogue.
>
> Is this correct?

It is, and that means my assumption was correct.  The titlesort value
is stored as a record attribute and that's the majority of the logic
directly in the trigger these days.

>> More generally, I don't particularly like the idea of teaching the
>> trigger to use parameters and then calling the trigger function
>> directly; but pushing the remaining logic that the trigger implements
>> into a regular function, and using params to /that/ function that the
>> trigger supplies by reading config.internal_flag values (turning the
>> trigger into a shell that sets up the default params), seems like a
>> good way to go.  Passing blah%ROWTYPE objects for NEW and OLD into a
>> function is easy enough, and an HSTORE of flags for "do this, don't do
>> that" would allow for API stability as we add more ingest-y things.
>>

> I was not too keen on it either, which is why I wanted to find out if there were better options.
>
> I like the idea of having the trigger call other functions.   That seems far more sensible to me.

Cool.  I will make a note to revisit this thread once I've made a
little headway on the new record attribute code.

--miker