[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Thoughts about the Staff Client Part 2 of 4 - Consultation with libraries

Liam Whalen liam.whalen at bc.libraries.coop
Wed Jan 22 19:20:02 EST 2014

Have we consulted with the libraries about what their needs are?

This is a large project that has direct impact on library staff.  It would be good to get a basic needs assessment from community libraries, so we can be sure we are targeting our code at machines and software that will be able to use it.  As well, it would be nice to identify where the current staff client lacks functionality or is cumbersome to use, so these issues can be addressed from the beginning of development.

For instance, some libraries may only have access to Internet Explorer. While it may seem like good advice to have them use another browser, in some cases, the IT departments in control of the libraries' technologies will allow only IE in order to lessen the amount of work they do and knowledge they need to have.  If this is the case in some Evergreen libraries, then IE compatibility will need to be considered, which requires at least some specific syntax to be used with AngularJS.

How does AngularJS perform on mobile an older machines?

I am not certain that we need to be concerned about performance on older machines, but I do not know what kinds of computer systems the various Evergreen libraries are using for staff computers.  This sort of information would be ideal to have when developing the staff client.  While, it may seem silly to question if AngularJS can perform well on mobile devices, I have not seen any benchmarking, and from the videos I have watched, the AngularJS team encourages everyone to do their own benchmarking to ensure they have the performance they require.  I think it would be prudent to test these things before we start full scale development of the new staff client in AngularJS.

Liam