[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Thoughts about the Staff Client Part 3 or 4 - Network Usage

Liam Whalen liam.whalen at bc.libraries.coop
Wed Jan 22 19:20:57 EST 2014

Network performance is a very important issue for Sitka.  We have a number of remote libraries with high latency Internet connections.  The more we can reduce information sent between the server and clients the better the staff experience will be in these libraries.

I think WebSockets will make a big contribution to this because we can do away with exchanging header information on each part of the trip.  But, the addition of WebSockets requires a lot of work on OpenSRF to provide a socketed connection.  In light of this, I think we should be building stub calls in for WebSockets everywhere we communicate with the server, so we can at least think about how persistent connections will affect the client side code.

Liam