[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Thoughts about the Staff Client part 4 or 4 - Google Best Practices

Liam Whalen liam.whalen at bc.libraries.coop
Wed Jan 22 19:22:17 EST 2014

Google has a website and video that talk about best practices to be used when developing AngularJS apps.  It would be a good idea to adhere to these as much as possible because it will ensure the new staff client can use updated versions of the AngularJS framework with minimal to no modifications to the existing code.

As well, the best practices are changing currently because the framework is new, so while the AngularJS walk through suggests using the Angular Seed project to create a development environment, the video suggests using Yeoman instead of Angular Seed, and that all new projects should use Yeoman.  If possible, when the full development process begins, we should be using the current best practices in order to minimize the amount of changes we will need to make later in development.

The AngularJS team relies heavily on Test Driven Development, and its use is assumed within the framework they have built.  I am not very familiar with it, but I like the fact that it forces me to think about the features I want before I write the code to create those features.

Ideally, the community will develop strict standards on the use of Test Driven Development when coding for the staff client.  This not only allows us to catch regression, but promotes planning features before writing code.

AngularJS Best Practices Document

https://github.com/angular/angular.js/wiki/Best-Practices

AngularJS Best Practices YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhfUv0spHCY