[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Thoughts about the Staff Client Part 3 or 4 - Network Usage

Bill Erickson berick at esilibrary.com
Fri Jan 24 09:46:31 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM, Liam Whalen
<liam.whalen at bc.libraries.coop>wrote:

> Network performance is a very important issue for Sitka.  We have a number
> of remote libraries with high latency Internet connections.  The more we
> can reduce information sent between the server and clients the better the
> staff experience will be in these libraries.
>

> I think WebSockets will make a big contribution to this because we can do
> away with exchanging header information on each part of the trip.  But, the
> addition of WebSockets requires a lot of work on OpenSRF to provide a
> socketed connection.  In light of this, I think we should be building stub
> calls in for WebSockets everywhere we communicate with the server, so we
> can at least think about how persistent connections will affect the client
> side code.

I'm actually a lot farther along with WebSockets than most people realize.
 We're at a point where there is nothing left to stub out.  For example,
the staff client prototype code is all WebSockets compliant.  I tested it
recently and it all worked great.

Basically, once installed (https://bugs.launchpad.net/opensrf/+bug/1268619) and
activated, it just works as-is (w/ the caveat that the application code
must be all async).  It still needs lots of testing, of course, but it's
basically all there.

Glad to see continuing momentum on using WebSockets!

-b

--
Bill Erickson