[OPEN-ILS-DEV] a request regarding development communication in the bug tracker

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Mar 5 09:49:10 EST 2014

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sending this e-mail! For the past week, I've been mulling
over the issue of how we can improve the process of proposing
development projects, particularly those that are large in scale or
change existing functionality, and to see more collaboration among
developers earlier on in the process. I think we can all agree there was
a breakdown in the process for this particular project.

Development plans were shared early on through Launchpad and through an
e-mail to the general list. However, I think one constant challenge is
capturing the attention of fellow developers to get their feedback at
the time you need it. Let's face it, we're all busy, and we all have
been in a situations where we're so wrapped up in other projects (i.e.
our jobs) that we might not be able to give feedback on a project at the
time it is sought. Sometimes, you hit gold and  you get a lot of early
feedback that helps you adapt your development plans. But it doesn't
always happen.

I give a +1 for these discussions occurring on the general list, but I
would like to think more about how to improve that collaboration early
on to help the process run more smoothly. A couple of ideas I've had:

- IRC discussions about a particular project need to be recorded
somewhere. I understand that the real-time nature of IRC sometimes makes
it easier to collaborate on a development project, but, once those
conversations are over, they need to be recorded either on the Launchpad
report or in the ongoing e-mail thread.  I would like to see
reservations or support for a particular development approach to be
recorded in the LP report or e-mail thread as well.

- I would like to propose that proposals for large development projects
or those that change existing functionality be placed on the agenda for
developers meetings. The plans should be shared a few days before those
meetings to give developers a chance to review them. I think this helps
the issue where development projects shared via the proper channels
don't always receive the feedback they otherwise would have received if
everyone were paying close attention. The developers meetings are one
time during the month where one developer can get the attention of all
the other committers in the community. Of course, the results of those
discussion should also be recorded in any ongoing e-mail threads.

Thanks again Chris!

Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator