[OPEN-ILS-DEV] conflict between mysql and postgresql

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Oct 17 12:26:32 EDT 2014

At Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:48:34 -0700 Evergreen Development Discussion List  <open-ils-dev at list.georgialibraries.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Stéphane Dudart <sdudart at adt.irisnet.be>
> wrote:
>
> > I would like to install Evergreen on a PC on which I already use Mysql for
> > other php applications. Does someone can tell me if it is possible to use
> > the two database servers Mysql et Postgresql on the same machine without
> > having conflicts ?
> >

> Yes, it is possible to run both MySQL and PostgreSQL on the same server
> without much trouble.

Yes, I have both DB systems running on my CentOS 5 desktop and have been
running both together for many years.  The two servers listen on different
ports/sockets and use separate database files, etc.  I would imagine one could
also run Oracle at the same, but since I don't have an Oracle or really any
reason to run it, I don't know for sure.

It does help to have enough resources available (eg enough RAM, diskspace, CPU
cycles, etc.) for the databases to work well together.  (MySQL is somewhat
MORE of a memory pig than PostgreSQL.)

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933