[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Revisiting web client catalog integration

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Apr 23 15:27:01 EDT 2015

Hi all,

After considerable testing of the web client and some follow-up
discussions with Equinox, I would like to revisit a discussion we had
last year regarding catalog integration in the web client -
http://markmail.org/message/zicsno2i7jlshpdb.

I think the use of iframes will be problematic for our users. When
testing, I've found that if I click to view holds for a bib record, if I
then click the browser's back button, I don't return to the record.
Instead, I go back to a different holds view and then back to the
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B74gDMUDwDXqMXhBMlBmQUI3Uk0&authuser=0.

There are navigational elements in the UI to bring users back to the
record or to the search results. However, if there is a browser back
button, people will use it despite those navigational elements. This is
what makes the iframe issue distinct from what we currently have
available in the xul client. There is no standard back button in the xul
client, so people are forced to use the other navigational elements
available in the UI. We don't have that level of control in the web client.

I am sending this e-mail to see if the collective wisdom of the
developer community may be able to come up with a solution that will
work well for our users. My preference is to not use iframes at all, but
my primary concern is getting the browser navigational tools to work
correctly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Kathy