[OPEN-ILS-DEV] QA proposals

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Fri Jul 17 09:12:06 EDT 2015

I've thought about this a bit more, and have a simple suggestion to offer.  What about, for bug fixes, requiring tests OR an increased number of signoffs?  We could bump it up by any amount depending on what we feel is the right balance, but I'd say starting with one more (a total of three), seems like it would bring meaningful improvement.  This could also then replace the "or it's too hard to write tests" cop-out clause, and thereby remove subjectivity from the process.  Bugs that are naturally too hard to write tests for will follow the multi-signoff route to entry.

If, down the line, we see that our tests are still woefully inadequate, or our overall code quality is still insufficient, then we just keep bumping up the sign-off bar until we get a good balance.

Thoughts?

Dan