[OPEN-ILS-DEV] QA proposals

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Jul 17 10:02:56 EDT 2015

Hi Dan and Liam,

Thanks for sharing your concerns regarding the time investment required
to meet the QA requirements as proposed. I do understand that our
developer resources in the community are low and time is at a premium,
and I think we need to be aware of these constraints as we move forward
with any QA requirements.

I do want to point out that item 2 had a caveat at the end - "or by a
statement from the patch author explaining that a test is infeasible
without significant refactoring." Does the inclusion of this caveat help
to address some of those concerns?

Although the idea of a petition mechanism might work in larger
communities, for our community, it leaves me with the question of who
would have the time to then write that test is some kind of petition
were made.

I do want to respond to this comment from Dan:

> Ideally we might find some people willing to specialize in test writing, and perhaps someday our tests will be so comprehensive that many bug fixes won't need a totally new test, but neither outcome seems imminent at this time.

During the January developers meeting, where we had the QA discussion
that led to the new requirements, I posed the question of whether we
needed to explore the idea of bringing on a person with an explicit
commitment to review patches and write tests. The response I received to
the idea was somewhat lukewarm, for reasons that I totally understand.
However, if the developer community told me that they really needed
somebody on board who specialized in test writing to be able to do the
type of QA recommended in the Equinox report, I would do whatever I
could to try to get the funding and expertise to make that happen.

There were several Evergreen sites that felt strongly enough about QA to
put funds into the Equinox QA study. I might be an optimist, but I
believe we could get similar support in bringing this type of expertise
on board.

I would love to see the Calvin bug fixes in Launchpad sooner rather than
later. If the time constraints on doing these tests is indeed too high
for the developer time we have in the community, then we're left with a)
lowering the bar for QA or b) doing what we can to grow the community so
that we have somebody who can make the commitment to that work. I'm
inclined to go with b) because I think it will lead to overall
improvement for the software our libraries rely on.

I'll also note that, at the same developers meeting, I volunteered to do
an environmental scan of other projects to see how they handled these
issues. It's something I have not done, other than some initial
brainstorming with Galen, partially because I was waiting to see how
things progressed with the new QA requirements and the test writing
days. However, I'm willing to re-focus my energies there if people think
it's useful.

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier