[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen search discussion

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Mon Oct 26 08:25:22 EDT 2015

While search speed and retrieval order does need to be improved, we do get
complaints from users about how searches are displayed. The long list of
titles can be frustrating. While improving retrieval order will improve
this, there may still be instances where the search target may be buried
down the list for valid reasons -- in a subject search, for example. Having
a more condensed way to display titles to minimize scrolling might be good
(facets do make this better).

I would also like to see the search cap handled differently. It currently
stops at 10,000 and doesn't give the user any indication that it did so.
Informing the user that their results are capped and either giving them a
way to retrieve additional titles or suggesting they search again, with
filters and more information. I wouldn't stop that initial search (like OCLC
does); but, I would let the user know that they may need to search again to
find what they need. With a database the size of PINES, users do hit that
10,000 threshold.

When we were originally testing Evergreen there was a "did you mean"
functionality. It was a free add on and we got what we paid for since the
suggestions were profane and not safe for work.  It was a source of much
amusement at the time.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager