[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Accessibility testing with web staff client

Terran McCanna tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Mon Aug 22 16:35:36 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I spent some time perusing the web staff client with three volunteers from
our GLASS (Georgia Library for Accessible Statewide Services) department
last week and discovered some areas that need work in order to meet ADA
Section 508 requirements. One staff volunteer uses glasses with an attached
monocular and a large screen with JAWS to back it up, one staff person uses
a high contrast black screen with heavy reliance on JAWS, and the third
staff person is entirely reliant on JAWS. All three are all using Windows
7. I did some additional testing with the NVDA screen reader on my own
machine as well, which doesn't have all the bells and whistles of JAWS, but
it's free and good enough for simple testing.

The first thing I discovered is that JAWS works better with Internet
Explorer than any other browser, and that JAWS users really dislike Chrome
because of its poor accessibility. Since the web client doesn't work at all
on IE (we couldn't even successfully log in), that left Firefox as the only
testing option.

Rather than trying to identify every little issue, I divided my notes into
5 major types of elements that need attention throughout the web client in
order to bring the interface closer to compliance:

Section labels / nested headings:

Field labels:

Button labels:

Button order/placement on forms:

Things that look like tables but aren't:

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Suite 150