[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Let's Encrypt on Evergreen server

Ben Shum ben at evergreener.net
Sun Mar 6 20:58:10 EST 2016

Hi Kelsey,

I've been using Let's Encrypt on my personal Evergreen test server
(https://demo.evergreener.net) for this past month or so.  Prior to
that, I used Let's Encrypt for some other test systems at my previous
place of work.

The biggest issue I encountered initially was that my system wasn't
resolving the reverse DNS properly for my site (it took a little time
for all the DNS to populate properly).  This caused the
letsencrypt-auto to fail for me.  I think I ended up installing an
additional python package to get that working in addition to giving
enough time for DNS to propagate.

The test system I used was installed with Ubuntu 14.04 server and
apache 2.4, which letsencrypt seemed to have better luck in handling
automatically the apache replaces with apache 2.4 vs. 2.2 (which
shipped on older Ubuntu distros).  Alternatively, I think I also just
eventually figured out how to setup my eg.conf config file with the
necessary paths for the SSL cert and chain files.

Feel free to ask further questions about your issues.  I think using
Let's Encrypt is an awesome solution for SSL certificates.

-- Ben