[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Support for Arabic language

Cerninakova Eva cernin at jabok.cz
Mon Oct 24 11:09:49 EDT 2016

Hi,

I had been  contacted by translator from Jordan who is member of the team
currently translating Evergreen to Arabic. The translators had a few
questions - one of them was whether Evergreen is capable of dealing with
Arabic.

I am sure there should not be problem to display Arabic characters in
Evergreen. However  I have some question about support for Arabic Language
too:

*1) Is there a support  for  left to right  writing in Evergreen?*
According to a  few informations founded in general Evergreen mailing
list,   information in  dokuwiki  (probably not very up-to-dated)  and my
very limited knowledge of Evergreen -  I am quite positive the RTL  is
currently not supported in Evergreen.

I suppose the support for RTL would include:

    RTL dir attribute in html tag in web pages
    RTL support in CSS
    Possibility to switch the LTR  to RTL  when user switch from English to
Arabic language and vice versa in all parts of the interface including
print outputs, notifications etc.
    What else?

The translating team have already some experiences in translating  SliMS
ILS and PMB ILS to Arabic before and they are  capable of creating style
templates for OPAC but they will probably need some help from the community
e.g., with the questions how enable the proper style sheet according to
language selected (RTL for Arabic, LTR for others). I

*2)  Does Evergreen currently include support for Arabic?* According to the
conclusions of the discussion in the general mailing list, which was held
in June this year (
https://www.mail-archive.com/open-ils-general@list.georgialibraries.org/msg12491.html),
I am not sure of it. In every case as Arabic is quite trickier than LTR
languages, it would be excellent if  support for Arabic language and
localization had a high priority in following  Evergreen releases in order
to test the Arabic as quickly as possible.

Thank in advance for the information

Eva

---
Mgr. Eva Cerniňáková
cernin at jabok.cz
Tel. +420 211 222 409

Knihovna Jabok
http:/knihovna.jabok.cz
Tel.  +420 211 222 410

Jabok - Vyšší odborná škola sociálně pedagogická a teologická
Salmovská 8, 120 00 Praha 2