[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen 3.0 installation and Gentoo packages

Graham Billiau graham at geeksinthegong.net
Thu Jul 13 22:17:27 EDT 2017

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 09:27:52 AM Jason Stephenson wrote:
> Hi, Graham and welcome aboard!
>
> A couple of your questions have already been answered, so I'll skip
> those below.
>
> On 07/10/2017 09:36 PM, Graham Billiau wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I've started trialling Evergreen 3.0 for managing a private library. We
> > previously tried Evergreen 2 but the XULRunner based staff client didn't
> > work for us. It's a small library with only a couple of customers, so
> > we're happy to risk beta software.
>
> I'm curious about what aspect of the XulRunner client didn't work for you.

Well, as you asked ...
Between close friends and family we have a decent collection of books and we
regularly lend them to each other. The problem is it's hard to keep track of
who owns which books and where they are. We also need a way to easily search
each others collections. After looking around we decided we needed the
features of a full library information system. Each one of the core members
can have a branch. Then we can use the lending features to keep track of where
books are, inter-library lending for the core members and patrons for people
outside the core members. Support for ebooks, ratings, reviews and stuff are
all nice to have as well.

The XULRunner staff client worked fine, but as this is just a side project,
managing it's dependencies, particularly the ancient version of firefox
required, became too much hassle. Now that it looks like the web staff client
is mature enough for our needs, I've decided to restart the project.

> > Forth: Are there any extra steps beyond the standard upgrade instructions
> > for migrating old data to Evergreen 3? I can't remember which specific
> > version we last tried, but it would be good to keep that data.
>
> If you still have the installation around, you should be able to
> determine the version in two ways. The second more reliable than the first.
>
> 1. Look in $PERLLIB/OpenILS.pm for the version string. It should be set
> to the release that you installed. (Where $PERLLIB is of course the path
> to wherever the Perl libraries were installed on your system.)
>
> 2. The second way will tell you what version the database was upgraded
> to. Run the following query in your Evergreen database:
>
> select version
> from config.upgrade_log
> where version like '%.%.%'
>
> After determining what version you have installed, you'll need to follow
> the upgrade steps as outlined in the instructions.
>
> You may find you are on a version that doesn't have a clear upgrade path
> to a higher version. That happens if you have installed a dot release
> that was created after the upgrade script to the next release. If that
> is the case, don't panic. Just email the list, and I'll share the
> command that you can use to make a custom upgrade script.
>
> Good luck,
> Jason

Thanks.