[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen 3.0 installation and Gentoo packages

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Thu Jul 13 09:27:52 EDT 2017

Hi, Graham and welcome aboard!

A couple of your questions have already been answered, so I'll skip
those below.

On 07/10/2017 09:36 PM, Graham Billiau wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've started trialling Evergreen 3.0 for managing a private library. We
> previously tried Evergreen 2 but the XULRunner based staff client didn't work
> for us. It's a small library with only a couple of customers, so we're happy
> to risk beta software.

I'm curious about what aspect of the XulRunner client didn't work for you.

> First question: Are git://git.evergreen-ils.org/OpenSRF.git and
> git://git.evergreen-ils.org/Evergreen.git the repositories for Evergreen 3.0
> and the associated version of OpenSRF?

Someone else has already answered yes to that question. I'd like to add
that there are working repositories where patch branches and features in
development usually go.

I see you have already submitted patches for the OpenSRF build on
Launchpad. We're pretty liberal about granting access to the working
repositories, so if you anticipate having more patches, I suggest
requesting access to the working repositories by send a public ssh key
to gitadmin at evergreen-ils.org along with a sentence or two to state that
your requesting working repository access.

> Second: My server runs Gentoo Hardened linux. Has anyone written Gentoo
> ebuilds for Evergreen? Similarly, has anyone written SELinux profiles for
> OpenSRF and Evergreen? If not, I'll write them myself.
>
> Third: Assuming I have to write the ebuilds and profiles myself, is anyone
> else interested in them? If they are I can do them neatly and make them
> available.
>
> Forth: Are there any extra steps beyond the standard upgrade instructions for
> migrating old data to Evergreen 3? I can't remember which specific version we
> last tried, but it would be good to keep that data.

If you still have the installation around, you should be able to
determine the version in two ways. The second more reliable than the first.

1. Look in $PERLLIB/OpenILS.pm for the version string. It should be set
to the release that you installed. (Where $PERLLIB is of course the path
to wherever the Perl libraries were installed on your system.)

2. The second way will tell you what version the database was upgraded
to. Run the following query in your Evergreen database:

select version
from config.upgrade_log
where version like '%.%.%'

After determining what version you have installed, you'll need to follow
the upgrade steps as outlined in the instructions.

You may find you are on a version that doesn't have a clear upgrade path
to a higher version. That happens if you have installed a dot release
that was created after the upgrade script to the next release. If that
is the case, don't panic. Just email the list, and I'll share the
command that you can use to make a custom upgrade script.

Good luck,
Jason