[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Informal vote to apply XUL-removal patch to 3.2

Ben Shum ben at evergreener.net
Wed Aug 29 12:21:21 EDT 2018

I vote "yes" to getting rid of XUL now.

>From i18n side of things, we've been working around the problems with
running the translation process with our old XUL code by using the
older template toolkit set from Ubuntu 14.04.  That Ubuntu version is
EOL next year April 2019, and I'd rather not have the community
dealing with translation support for the old XUL code (which is
already unsupported by modern template toolkit) past that point.  If
we retain XUL in 3.2 and keep supporting it through late 2019 (as we
usually do the 15 months of support), then we'll have to build in
additional carryover processes for the release builders and
maintainers to deal with.

Things are already going to be complicated enough moving forward with
i18n translation support in the new ang6, I'd prefer to keep us
looking ahead rather than continuing to half-support broken legacy
processes.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum