[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Looking at Gitolite Replacements

Robin H. Johnson rjohnson at sitka.bclibraries.ca
Sat Feb 17 14:08:16 EST 2018

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 11:02:24AM -0500, Jason Stephenson wrote:
> Hi, all.
> I think if we're serious about moving away from our current
> configuration, then we should either choose gitlab or set up a serious
> multi-user test site for gitlab so we can see how work flows, etc., will
> change as a result.
Long time I haven't spoken on the list, but wanted to chime in with
experiences providing VCS services for 15+ years (CVS, SVN,
Git[custom,gitosis,gitolite,gitlab]).

Most of your desired features aren't in the 'minimal' goal of Gitolite,
as you've noted, and the nits with Gitolite (human to add keys) are
certainly a pain for you. Despite my personal preferences for Gitolite,
it probably needs to be replaced.

Running your own fully-featured hosting solution from scratch is MUCH
more work than using upstream-provided containers. This goes for both
Gitlab & Phabriactor.

I'd recommend GitlabCE using the upstream containers, either Docker or
K8s:
https://hub.docker.com/r/gitlab/gitlab-ce/
https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/install/kubernetes/

Could you elaborate on your comment about GitLab branch permissions?
> We don't have as much control over branch permissions as gitolite
> offers.
Aside from some fancy VREFs in Gitolite, I've been able to do all of my
permissions identically in GitLabCE.

Other hosting solution candidates I'd like to suggest:
Gerrit

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
SITKA: Sysadmin